Singapore is known to be a top patent filing destination after Japan, Korea, China and India. In the AIPPI Forum, I promoted Malaysia (MY) as a popular national phase filing destination. I highlighted the following points in my discussion:
- MY is a PCT member
- MY acccepts English application as offiial language. Hence, no translation is needed
- MY acknowledges search report of US, AU, EPO, JP, and KR granted patent. The MY application can be fast tracked to grant.
- MY court widely uses English as official language
- MY has a one year grace period for novelty. Does not practice absolute novelty.
- MY economy lies in the following industries: electrical and electronics, rubber, palm oil, automotive, petroleum and plastics.
- MY has a population of 27 million